Barbecue Lentil Sandwich
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
A vegan approach to the classic pulled pork sandwich. Save time and money by cooking the lentils in your slow cooker. Just place the lentils in your slow cooker and cover with 2 inches of water. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until tender.
Yield: 4 cups of barbecue lentils, 8 servings
Quick and Easy Smoky Barbecue Sauce
• 28-oz canned crushed tomatoes
• 6oz can tomato paste
• 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
• 1/4 cup white vinegar
• 1 medium-sized sweet onion, quartered
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 tbsp palm sugar
• 1 tsp dry mustard
• 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke
• 1/8 tsp cayenne
• 4 cups cooked green lentils
Gluten-free sandwich bread or buns
1. Place all sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Place in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in cooked lentils. Serve over top bread or buns smothered in apple butter, or try as a burger topping.
Recipes provided by: Leanne Vogel, healthfulpursuit.com.