Dad’s Famous Potato Salad
Vegan [option], Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
My dad’s famous potato salad with a secret ingredient that changes it all!
Yield: 6 cups of potato salad
• 5 white russet potatoes, cubed – do not peel! [yield - 6 cups]
• 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces *see note
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 4 dill pickles, finely chopped [yield: 1/3 cup]
• 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
• 1/3 cup red onions, finely diced
• 5 radishes, sliced
• 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
• 1/2 cup canola mayonnaise *see note
• 2 tbsp pickle juice
• 1 tbsp dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp fresh dill
• 1/2 tsp herbamare
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Fill a medium sized saucepan with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a fork and place on a paper towel [or cloth]-lined plate and pat dry.
3. Combine mayo, pickle juice, mustard, dill, herbamare, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the bacon, celery, pickles, pepper, red onions, and radishes. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and stir to evenly coat. Drop in cooked potatoes and mix gently. Spoon salad into a 1 1/2 qt. or 1.4L casserole dish and top with hard boiled eggs.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
note: to make vegan, switch canola mayonnaise with veganaise, remove eggs, and try these “bacon” bits
Recipes provided by: Leanne Vogel, healthfulpursuit.com.