In today’s fast paced environment there appears to be a focus on quick fixes for our health. From flu shots, to attempts at creating a pill that cures all, there is no question that the masses are looking for a short cut that works.
In an attempt to remain unbiased (if you have read my articles you can guess what my opinion is), this article will provide information for and against flu shots. I will however, give my opinion before I get down to business: A shot that can create immunity for a particular virus through bypassing so many natural levels of immune protection just feels wrong to me. That said, here is what I dug up. Please check out the links to various studies and explanations of terms.
For The Flu Shot
- The shot stimulates the body to build antibodies against the viruses in the vaccine.
- You can choose to get the shot before flu season officially begins to provide yourself with maximum protection.
- It’s free.
Against The Flu Shot
And here is where I needed to stop. I only found governmental information stating that flu vaccines are safe, and the information provided was vague. I feel this makes it really difficult to make an informed decision. It also makes me question WHY the public information is so vague.
- Clean hands frequently with warm soap and water for 20 seconds before and after eating, after coughing and sneezing, after using the bathroom, after a diaper change, after handling garbage and when visibly dirty (you may want to disinfect your game controllers).
- Cover a cough or sneeze with the inside of your elbow, or use a tissue and then wash your hands.
- Keep commonly used surfaces clean (doorknobs, light switches, telephones, etc.).
- Stay home if you are sick.
What are your thoughts and feelings around flu shots? How do you feel about 2010′s “pandemic”? Will the hype from 2010 prevent you from getting the flu shot in 2011?
As an alternative health care provider, I recommend immune boosting vitamins like vitamin C, D and E as well as high doses of probiotics. Check out the specials at The Green Way
for alternative regimens to prevent the flu specific for your individual lifestyle.