So picture this: You’re gaming, stuck on a level, trying your hardest to defeat whatever obstacle is in your way, when suddenly, you realize you’re famished. You pause the game, and wander into the kitchen. Now, when you open the fridge, there’s not much. Same with the freezer. You’ve been doing great with eating healthy and staying away from the junk food your roommate has in the pantry. You remember that there was an article not too long ago about healthy alternative snacks for you to eat. You decide to check out the website for some good snacking tips, and you find this:
Jalapeno Popper Wontons
Not only is this recipe delicious, because you are making them yourself and not popping them out of a box, you can control how much sodium and fat are in them.
Here’s what you’re going to need:
• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed
• 3 green onions, diced
• 1 (16 ounce) package wonton wrappers
• 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Now, to make this a little healthier, make sure you buy fat free or 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese. You should also look for reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese. Also, I know it says “oil to fry” but if you use Canola oil, there are no trans fats.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, jalapeno peppers, garlic and green onions.
2. Fill wonton wrappers with approximately 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture each. Fold wrappers into triangles and press the edges with a moistened fork to seal.
3. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Drop 4 wontons at a time into the oil and quickly fry, turning once. Remove when golden brown and drain on paper towels.
The website that I found this great recipe on even has the nutritional facts included: Calories: 223 | Total Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 26mg. Again, you can cut the fat down using reduced fat or fat free cheeses.
I love this recipe for Sunday football games and just hanging around the house. It’s quick and easy, and will have you back to your game in no time. Enjoy!