When I was a kid, there were many days that I would spend just lying around the house. No school? No moving. I know that it’s the same for a lot of adolescents out there now. Even in my day, people were playing video and computer games. Sometimes, it’s just easier to play three hours of games than doing a half hour of exercise. However, kids should be active, just like a adults. Small breaks in between TV shows or a 5-minute pause on a game can do great things for a child’s health.
So here are some tips for you, GamerFit Juniors! Your health and fitness are just as important, if not more important, than the adults.
• Invite some friends over and play tag for fifteen minutes before and after playing a video game.
• Whenever there’s a commercial on TV, see how many jumping jacks you can do in a row or how long you can hop on one foot.
• If you usually play a sedentary game like Call of Duty, pop in a dance game for a few minutes before playing.
• Set a time for when you will do something physical and stick to it. Make a habit out of doing something active at the same time everyday.
• Try to eat vegetables with lunch and dinner or as a snack when you get home from school. Fruits make great snacks as well if you are in the mood for something sweet; ask your parent to get some healthy snacks for you.
• Thirsty? Water is the best thing to drink, and nonfat or low-fat milk is very good for you as well. Stay away from sodas as much as possible.
• Time yourself doing sprints and see how fast you can get; always try to beat your best time.
• Grab a friend, pop in some music and invent some dance moves. In other words, don’t be afraid to get a little silly. The more you move the better it is for you.
• Hide and seek is a great way to get outside and play. The bigger the area you use, the more you’ll run.
Video and computer games, movies are great fun, and you should play them. It’s OK to watch some TV as well. There’s nothing wrong with relaxing and enjoying these pastimes. It’s just not healthy, if that’s all you do all day. Make sure that you are incorporating some other activities into your everyday activities. It’ll be fun to do some different things, and it’ll help you get healthy and fit in no time.