Author: Maria Del Mar
The other day I found myself staring over the contents of my fridge and decided, why not make ham and cheese? Feeling creative I decided to give it a little twist. I took a whole bunch of ingredients and the end product was delicious. A fast and nutritious meal in a matter of minutes. It incorporated everything from high-density nutritious vegetables, one of them being spinach, which is also a “super food”, to whole wheat, which is an excellent source of dietary fiber, and an apple and tomato, which are saturated with carotene. The red pigment in these foods is full of vitamin A, perfect for vision and bone health, plus the entire meal is an excellent source of calcium.
A delicious and fun twist to your traditional ham and cheese sandwich.
Ingredients: 3 Thin slices of Turkey Ham ¼ c Grated Low-Moisture Skim Mozzarella Cheese 1 Small Red Apple 1 Small Red Tomato ½ c Spinach 1 Tbsp. Honey Dijon Mustard 1/2 Tbsp. Honey 2 Slices of 100% Wheat Bread Preparation:
- Pre-heat up a skillet up to medium/high.
- Prepare your sweet turkey ham, by drizzling the honey over the ham until all the slices are thinly coated. Then place these over the skillet for about 10 seconds on each side, until the honey caramelizes. (Remember you don’t want to cook the slices.)
- Take the whole wheat bread and coat it with the honey dijon mustard on each side, later top it with the sweet turkey ham and mozzarella cheese toast.
- While the bread is toasting take the apple and tomato, thinly slice each of them and get about 4 to 5 thin slices each.
- Once the bread finalizes toasting, top it off with the rest of the ingredients.
- Plate and serve.
(Clockwise) Honey Dijon, Dark Leaf Spinach, Low-Moisture Part Skim Mozzarella, Tomato, Apple, Honey, Turkey Ham and Whole-Wheat Bread.
With the sweetness of the honey, the gooiness of the cheese and the delicious crunch of the apples, you’re going to want to eat this all day.
- 480 Calories
- 52g Carbohydrates
- 16g Fat
- 32g Protein
- 8.6g Fiber
- 1.4g Sodium
- 139µg Vitamin A
- 16mg Vitamin C
- 280mg Calcium
- 3g Iron
Leave your comments below and add to this discussion. Like what you saw, follow us on Twitter @GamerFitNation, like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ GamerFitNation!