I was in search of a healthy treat to stick with my resolution goals of making 2014 my fittest year yet! I threw together these delicious muffins that are only 100 calories each. They are just sweet enough to eat as a satisfying dessert, but you can even have them as an on-the-go snack or breakfast muffin. They are moist, dense, and full of my favorite warm spices from the holiday season.
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup stevia
1 Tbsp stevia
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp oats
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or use individual muffin liners.
- Whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the applesauce, pumpkin puree, yogurt, egg and stevia together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a wooden spoon to combine them.
- Fill each muffin tin to almost the top with the mixture. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle the topping mixture over each muffin.
- Place the muffins in the oven for about 32-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool and serve! Makes 12 muffins.
Tips and Tricks:
-Try using an ice cream scooper to scoop the mixture into the muffin tins. This is both easy and reduces the messiness factor when dividing the mixture among the tins.
-When scooping the batter into the tins, try to smooth out the top, as these don’t puff up very much and stay true to form.
-If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, try mixing together equal parts of ground nutmeg, ground allspice, and ground ginger.
Amount per serving
Total Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 22g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Stefani Pappas is the author of Gamer Fit Nation’s Biweekly Column entitled, “Fast Track To Fit With Stef!” She is a college student majoring in Nutritional Sciences and hopes to become a Registered Dietitian. As a Certified Indoor Cycling Instructor, Stefani is dedicated to leading a healthy and active lifestyle and inspiring others to do the same. Follow her on Twitter @stefhealthtips for more nutrition and fitness tips!
Edited by: Stephanie Jackson
Don’t Just Be Fit, Be Gamer Fit